If a picture is worth a thousand words, a product video just might be worth a thousand sales (or more).
Product videos are an effective way to enhance user interest, engagement, and sales with your products. In fact, it can be so effective that 73% of consumers say they are more likely to buy a product after watching a product video.
However, a great product video goes beyond the shooting of products. It involves unique storytelling, buyer experience, branding and more.
In this article, let’s cover the fundamentals of product videos for marketing along with some tips and examples.
What is a Product Video
Product videos describe and visually display the tangible advantages of your products in a brief, consumable video.
The best product videos highlight the pain points of prospect buyers then introduce features and benefits to solve them.
The following three points summarize exactly what needs to be in a product video:
- Tell a story. There needs to be some context and background information in your product video. If you have a stand-alone product video featuring an item with 360-degrees, is that marketable? Spending money on videos like will usually only be usable for your website only. When creating a story about your products, incorporate your brand, why buyers can’t resist it, and testimonials of past buyers.
- Keep it short. Aim to make product videos 30-seconds long (max. 60-seconds). This is important when sharing on social media. It might be difficult to reduce the message down to half a minute, but the impact can be powerful.
- Be human. Beyond driving sales to your products, your videos should be focused on making real connections with people. Be relatable when introducing your products and brand to potential buyers. When possible, capture emotion and honesty (whether animated or featuring real people). You want people who watch your video to feel like you really understand them and have their interest at the core of your business.
Near the end of this article, you’ll find a few examples of product videos that market companies successfully.
Practical Tips for Creating Product Videos
If this is your first time creating product videos, let’s look at a few tips to make the process easier, more efficient, and cost-effective.
Tip #1: Hire the right talent.
What’s your budget for developing a high-quality product video? You can hire a video production agency to create a concept, develop the storyboard, shoot segments, then edit and develop a ready-to-publish product video. Depending on the scope and style of your product video, professional agencies can cost between $1000 to $5000 for 60-second production.
Tips #2: Avoid vertical shots.
If you’re on a tight budget and want to create a simple video using the camera on your phone, avoid vertical shots. Shoot your product video in horizontal to improve the watch-ability of the video.
Also, if you want to improve stability (i.e. no shakiness in the video), you might want to invest in a gimbal to hold your phone in place while you film.
Tip #3: Lighting and audio are crucial.
Be sure the room where you shoot your product videos are well-lit and noise-free. When a room has sufficient light, it will give your products a sharp, better quality look. Turn on all the lights and bring in extra lamps to balance shadows and create the best lighting effects.
When it comes to sound, shoot in a quiet space. Use an external microphone or ensure your camera is close enough to pick up the person’s voice describing the product.
Before you start shooting, test your conditions first to ensure you get the best quality for your product videos.
Product Videos for Marketing [EXAMPLES]
Let’s look at 3 product videos for marketing a business in a clever, attractive, and effective way. These
- Kelty Camping Gear – Noah’s Tarp
- YouTube Views: 52,137
- Video Duration: 1:06
Kelty’s video for their Noah’s Tarp kicks off by introducing the problems campers face: “finding cover from the sun and the rain doesn’t need to be difficult.” This product video continues by displaying all the features of the tarp along with how to set it up and the sizes available.
2. Man Crates
- YouTube Views: 359,862
- Video Duration: 0:22
Man Crates is a unique e-commerce concept that ships a variety of “man-focused” gifts in a wooden crate. In this product video, instead of featuring the product on their store, they focus on the unique packaging (a wooden create) the gifts are sent in. Using just a few simple shots and a powerful voiceover, this is clearly an effective product video for marketing.
- Dollar Share Club – Our Blades Are The F***ing Greatest
- YouTube Views: 26,191,860
- Video Duration: 1:33
O.K., this post mentions creating product videos within the 30 to 60-second range. Well, when you hit play on the video from Dollar Shave Club, you’ll quickly see why it became a viral success. The video is mildly vulgar and extremely funny. It targets many problems shavers have and gives witty solutions for each of them.
(According to a source on Quora, this video cost $4,500 to make.)
When it comes to creating product videos for marketing your business, here are some rules to follow:
- Use engaging dialogue and narration;
- Keep the length between 30 to 60 seconds to keep a viewer’s attention while fully explaining the product and benefits;
- Make videos that are professional, creative, and watchable.
- Be relatable
Do you have a product video ready to market your business? Get in touch with us to discuss the best strategies for optimizing their performance and maximizing return 𑁋 send us a message.