Last Updated on
More and more people are making their purchases online. This is most true when looking at the newest adult generation, Gen Z. A study found only 9.6% of people had bought something in a physical store in the six months prior. And while Millenials, GenX and Baby Boomers all bought items in a physical store much more often, the trend is clear: retailers must offer their shoppers a great online experience.
Table of Contents
- What Choose Facebook Marketplace?
- What Is Facebook Marketplace?
- What Categories Is Facebook Marketplace Broken Down Into?
- Three Important Considerations with Facebook Marketplace
- What Are the Benefits to Selling on Facebook Marketplace?
- A Guide for How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace
- Facebook Marketplace FAQs
- Facebook Marketplace Rules
- Facebook Marketplace: A Summary
Why Choose Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook is already a critical tool for brands looking to connect with customers. Previously Facebook Marketplace was only available as a peer to peer service, but now has B2C or merchant sellers.
In the fall of 2018, there were already 800 million people using marketplace around the world, although it is important to know that only US merchants can sell on Marketplace. It’s a huge advantage to be able to use a place people are already shopping to sell your products.
What Is Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook Marketplace is a platform where consumers can discover, buy and sell items. They can easily find what it is they are looking for by filtering results by price, location and type of item.
What Categories Is Facebook Marketplace Broken Down Into?
One of the most important features for being able to use Marketplace for shopping are the filters, and Facebook Marketplace lets people filter results based on pre-selected categories of items. Here are the categories in which items can be listed on Facebook Marketplace:
- Clothing & Accessories
- Home & Garden
- Home Sales
In addition to filtering results by categories, buyers can search for specific items as well.
Three Important Considerations with Facebook Marketplace
There are some rules that you have to follow with Facebook Marketplace, as well as strategies that are different from selling in real life. Here are three important things to keep in mind when using Marketplace.
- Facebook Marketplace Doesn’t Sync with all eCommerce Platforms: Facebook is partnered with specific eCommerce platforms, including BigCommerce, Shopify and CommerceHub amongst others.
- Marketplace Requires a Lot of Communication with Buyers: It can take sellers some getting used to, but buyers are going to have lots of questions and will raise issues. To have success in Markeptlace it is critical to have strong communication with customers. Customer service is an important part of running an eCommerce business.
- Facebook Requires Orders to Be Shipped in 3 Days and Received in 7 Days: It is important to take this into account when planning stock.
What Are the Benefits to Selling on Facebook Marketplace?
Not only can selling on Marketplace increase overall sales it can also encourage brand reach in two ways:
- Simply having products on Marketplace extends the overall brand reach.
- Facebook Marketplace provides its customers personalized service, showing products most relevant to them. This will help the right customers discover you.
A Guide for How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace
There is a difference for how to go about selling on Marketplace for established eCommerce merchants versus individuals.
For eCommerce Merchants Who Want to Sell on Marketplace
It’s quite simple to set up Facebook Marketplace for those who already have an eCommerce presence. In fact it can be done in just 10 minutes.
The first step is making certain your ready to sync your store by checking that inventory is up to date and accurate. From there you go to your eCommerce store’s control panel. From there you should see an option to sync with Facebook Marketplace if your eCommerce site is one of those that can sync with Marketplace. Here is a list of those that can:
From there you simply follow the dialog boxes to complete set up. At this point, you will be put into the Facebook Marketplace review process. This usually takes less than a week, and once completed, you can get selling.
ECommerce merchants on Marketplace are not allowed to sell in all categories, rather they are limited to:
- Baby & Kids
- Bags & Luggage
- Beauty (Women)
- Home Furnishings
For Individuals Who Want to Sell on Marketplace
Individuals who’d like to sell in Facebook Marketplace are able to list items directly from their Facebook Page. This is done by clicking on storefront logo and then following instructions. Individual sellers may post in all categories.
Facebook Marketplace FAQs
Does It Cost Money to Use Facebook Marketplace?
No, there are listing fees or other charges for the service. Unlike most marketplaces it is entirely free.
How Do I Download the Marketplace App?
You don’t need to. Facebook Marketplace is built into the Facebook app and is also available at Facebook.com.
How Can I Increase Sales on Marketplace?
Here are some tips for creating listings that will attract buyers:
- Use key words in the title and description,
- Writer longer descriptions and include more details.
- Have professional photographer take pictures of merchandise for the listing.
- If you’re taking photos yourself invest some time in learning techniques like choosing a plain uncluttered background and including a photo of the item in use.
Facebook Marketplace Rules
To get a full description of the rules it’s important to read the Commerce Policies. This is an in-depth guide to what is allowed and isn’t on Marketplace as well as in Buy and Sell Groups, Shop Pages and Instagram Shopping.
Some things to know that are banned from being sold on Facebook Marketplace include:
- Adult products or services
- Digital media
- Drugs (including prescription, illegal and recreational)
- Event tickets
- Gift cards
- Healthcare items like thermometers and oximeters
- Tobacco products or paraphernalia
- Weapons, ammunition, or explosives
Another rule to keep in mind is that there must be a physical object that is being sold. Marketplace isn’t for ‘Lost and Found’ notices or selling non-physical items. In order to sell something like housekeeping services it’s neccessary to go through one of Facebook’s partners.
Facebook requires that the photo and description match the actual item for sale. Also, before and after photos are not allowed. These might be used to sell harmful ‘weight loss’ supplements.
Facebook Marketplace: A Summary
Whatever you’re selling, in today’s world being able to both provide reliable online sales and expand your brand’s reach across multiple channels is critical for success. Facebook Marketplace helps to fulfill both needs as it has a huge built in audience of over 800 million and is easy for anyone to use.