Last Updated on
Are you seeking more clicks through to your business website from Twitter? Are you aiming to improve your Twitter’s followers? Welcome to the club.
Nowadays, marketing through social media is the norm. However, out of all the popular social media networks, Twitter seems to be an enigma for many marketers and entrepreneurs.
Twitter marketing brings huge potential benefits for those who acknowledge its use and understand its principles. That’s probably why the biggest and most successful companies and personal brands (influencers, famous people, etc.) use it consistently to grow awareness, improve the brand reputation, and bring relevant traffic to their websites.
To master Twitter marketing, you’ll need to leverage the right strategies and the proper tools. For that reason, in today’s post, I’m sharing X smart ways to effectively promote your business on Twitter. Pay attention and apply!
1. Define Your Goals
Before you create a marketing strategy for Twitter, you’ll need to figure out what you’re after. Simply put, why is your business on Twitter? Some of the most common objectives are:
- Improve your brand’s and products’ awareness
- Improve your brand’s and products’ reputation
- Increase customer loyalty
- Implement customer support through Twitter to decrease costs
- Improve website traffic, gain leads, and eventually sales
If you have a different goal, make sure you follow it. Once you establish how Twitter’s going to serve your business, develop measurable and specific objectives that’ll help you stay on track by allowing you to measure your performance. For example, if you choose the “increase website traffic” goal, one of the smaller objectives could be to “Generate 500 unique visitors each week within 3 months by leveraging influencers and advertising marketing.”
2. Leverage Twitter Tools to Improve Productivity
Productivity is a scarce resource, one that every webmaster and entrepreneur craves for every day. Building a successful Twitter marketing campaign is much easier with the use of professional tools that’ll automate and optimize your efforts.
Here’s how professional tools can improve the performance of your Twitter marketing:
- You can easily find and reach industry influencers present on Twitter.
- Analyzing your competition becomes a piece of cake with the use of professional software which serve this exact purpose.
- If you have the proper “listening” tools, you can gain important insights about your target audience.
- By using tools, you can immediately identify the most popular content, search terms, hashtags, news, or sources.
- You can easily add images to your Tweets (and edit them effectively)
- Tools help you keep track of who you’re following, how active these persons are, and they allow you to remove the spammers or the inactive users.
- Use a Twitter bot or create your bot own like in this G2 Twitter Guide.
- Some special tools provide insightful metrics and data about the timing of your tweets.
Where can you find these tools? Are they free? Cheap? Expensive? Here’s a list of 33 Twitter tools that’ll make your life better!
3. Listen, Learn, Respond
Many successful brands (if not all) use Twitter to gather real-time intelligence on their direct competitors, to benefit from instant feedback on how their brands are being perceived by the market, and also to gain important data for optimizing and scaling their marketing campaigns.
“Social listening is not a new trend. By approaching this productive strategy, you can “listen” and learn what your Twitter community and fanbase talks about, you can understand how most people look at your brand, and you can gain significant and important data that can be leveraged to improve the performance of your brand.” – Michael Fax, Marketing Manager at EssayOnTime.
Here are some of the things you should pay attention to:
- Your brand’s services’/products’ name. (plus the misspellings)
- Your brand’s name (plus the misspellings)
- Your direct competitors’ name, products, and services (plus the misspellings)
- Brand taglines (slogans)
- Campaign keywords
- Industry keywords (buzzwords)
There are many tools that can help you keep track of all these elements: Twitter Advanced Search, Social Mention, Hootsuite, TweetReach, and several others. Choose the one that fits your business needs best and start improving your social listening performance immediately!
4. Develop a Content Plan
Your content schedule should never be chaotic. To keep your fans engaged, you’ll need to diversify your content calendar. By leveraging Twitter tools, you can automate the posting of your content by scheduling your updates and allowing the software to do the rest of the work. Here’s an example of an effective content planning/scheduling:
- Monday – spotlight popular topics within the industry
- Tuesday – share “how-to” instructional posts
- Wednesday – share “did you know” tips and tricks
- Thursday – share behind-the-scenes pictures/videos of your business/team of employees
- Friday – feature product discounts / special promotions
You don’t have to create all of this content. You can curate quality content from other people, mention their brand as you post the update, and reap almost the same benefits!
5. Define and Measure Your KPIs
A great social media performance, no matter whether it’s Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram marketing, requires effective performance tracking. Leverage Twitter Analytics or any other social tool that features analytics solutions and keep your campaign on track!
Before you start measuring your brand’s performance on Twitter, you’ll need to establish the most relevant KPIs (key performance indicators). Here are some of the most common KPIs and metrics that you can track:
- Reach – reflects the number of individuals who retweet or like your Twitter posts.
- Traffic – represents the number of people who visit your site from Twitter
- Follower growth – how many new Twitter followers you gain every month, week, or day
- Conversions – how many website visitors that came from Twitter have subscribed to your email list/purchased your products
- Follower engagement – how many Twitter followers engage with your regular updates
You can track all metrics, yet I highly suggest you stick to the most important ones. Don’t overcomplicate your analytics process. By keeping it simple, you’ll know exactly what you’ve done wrong, what can be improved, and what should be removed.
Twitter marketing isn’t as complicated as most people see it. There’s no rocket science involved and there are no complicated technicalities involved. Take advantage of the strategies listed above, promote your business on Twitter consistently, and measure your results. If you like what you see, keep leveraging this special traffic channel until you become its master!