Mobile App Advertising
Table Of Contents
Recent PostsHow To Make A GIF For Facebook Ads How To Sell Using Fear 5 Best Shopping Cart Software to start an eCommerce Business Copywriting Courses Smart Marketing Strategies for Small Businesses Facebook Advertising Tools to Amplify Your ROI Facebook Marketing Is A Winner Finding The Top Long Island Marketing Companies Increasing Benefits of Link-less Brand Mentions Crucial Tips If You Want to Start Using SEO for Your Business Creating Ephemeral Content: Utilizing FOMO in Marketing Avoid These 6 Common Facebook Marketing Mistakes
A recent study on mobile app advertising by Appsflyer found that the world spent $38.9 billion for mobiles ads in 2018. They also suggest that this number is likely to grow by 34% by 2020.
The question is: why is so much money being spent on app install ads?
Right now, there are over 4.68 billion people using mobile devices and this is increasing every day. People are checking their phone every 12 minutes or about 80 times a day. This persistent usage of mobile devices has become so extreme that 1 in every 3 Americans, would rather give up sex for a week than go one day without their smartphone.
This might sound ridiculous, but the truth is, there are growing opportunities for mobile app advertising.
Today, let’s explore this topic and how you can leverage your business to get more app installs and increase your revenue.
Image Source: Appsflyer
Overview of Mobile App Advertising
There are several ways to advertise your app using a variety of different mobile marketing strategies. Here are some of the most common:
Facebook App Install Ads: Allows you to target a wide audience on both Instagram and Facebook to increase engagement and downloads of your app.
App Store Optimization (ASO): Modifying and testing elements on your store page can increase your app visibility and convert more downloads.
Social Media Ads: In addition to Facebook, you can also use paid ads on Twitter and other social media platforms.
Influencer Endorsements: Reaching out to online influencers related to your app’s niche can help you target a new audience to increase downloads.
Trends in Mobile App Advertising
Let’s analyze the mobile app market to understand why there is a boom in mobile app advertising spend. Here are a few of the most prominent trends to date:
- Affordable, Powerful Devices: Advancements in technology has allowed the mobile market to explode. Hardware has become increasingly powerful while the excess in production has led to affordable prices so that all ages and household incomes can purchase a device. This allows even people from developing nations to carry a smartphone in their pocket and access the global community.
- App Commerce: Trends in online shopping has boomed with the ease of accessing commodities and other life essentials with a single touch on a phone. From 2016 to 2018, U.S. shoppers spent 60% more time shopping from apps with companies like Amazon, Walmart, and Aliexpress dominating the markets.
- Gaming: From gambling apps to hardcore RPGs to an afternoon of crushing candy, there is a massive influx of mobile gaming apps. In 2016, the mobile gaming app industry generated $35.6 billion in revenue. This number accounts for 90% of Google Play Store and 80% of Apple’s App Store total revenue. Mobile app gamers are playing an average of 3.6 games per month and anywhere between 155 to 190 minutes daily.
- Video & Music Streaming: When blockbuster died, the rise of alternative media sources took over. Companies like Netflix and Spotify quickly conquered the online world and have also seen great success on mobile phones. With the emergence of 5G and affordable data plans around the world, more people are spending their time watching their favorite shows and listening to music with ease.
Mobile In-App Advertising
In-app advertising is another trend that’s seeing more success than traditional online ads on mobile websites. An article from Forbes reveals that in-app ads get a much higher click through (0.58%) compared to those on mobile web (0.23%).
If you plan on advertising in-app, that are a few things to learn to advertise effectively:
Image Source: Mobileads
1. Interstitial Ads are those that cover the entire screen. Similar to the pop-up ads you see on the web, you can use video, images, or text to grab attention and drive viewers to your call-to-action. Unfortunately, these ads are seen as intrusive and other in-app ads may be more effective.
Image Source: Mobileads
2. Banner ads are often clicked accidentally unless you have a strong brand presence. They are displayed throughout the app and can be easily ignored by app users. Nonetheless, these types of in-app ads are quick, simple, and cost-effective.
Image Source: Mobileads
3. In-app video ads can appear as a banner ad, however, once click they expand to reveal content. It’s a clever strategy to deliver a message and is less intrusive to the app user.
Other in-app ads you can use are:
- Native Ads
- Video Ads
- Universal app ads
- Call-only ads
Benefits of Using Mobile App Advertising
If you’re an app developer looking to host ads in your app, there are many networks that connect you with advertisers and other developers. Using the styles of apps mentioned above, you can:
- Make more money for your app
- Improve user experience
- Increase in-app purchases
With paid advertising, you can compete with industry leaders to make your app stand out. However, any campaign you create, there are some key metrics to measure and improve, such as:
- Cost-per-acquisition: this allows you to measure the price per user to download and install your app. This information can help you target users who provide you with the most profitability.
- Install-to-action: this shows the rate of installs that lead to in-app purchases and events. You can use this to measure the overall performance of your app.
- User demographics: as your app increase in revenue, you can collect data on user demographics (i.e. age, sex, location, interests). This allows you to improve your ads in the future, targeting similar users to your app.
If you’re looking for app analytics and tracking platforms, try one of these:
- App Annie
Tracking your mobile app advertising performance is a critical step toward your mobile user acquisition.
In-app ads are a strategic and effective method to capture users’ attention. These mobile app ads can be used to retain more user, improve user experience, and increase in-app purchases.
Want to improve your app conversion rates? Head over to our contact page to reach out and schedule a time to talk about your business goals.